College Petitions is a platform that enables college students to run petitions at their schools. The following policies outline a general relationship between us (College Petitions) and the user (you).
You must be at least 18 years of age and currently based in the United States of America (or attend a school based in the U.S.) to use our service. You may not misrepresent your identity (including your age or school) or impersonate another person or organization. You may not knowingly submit any untrue personal data.
By submitting any content to our website, you grant us the irrevocable right to use such content for any purpose (including commercial), without compensation unless otherwise indicated. Furthermore, you also acknowledge that you have the legal rights necessary to submit any content that you submit. This includes being able to comply with giving us the rights to use such content.
We are not responsible for, nor do we necessarily endorse content on our platform. Campaigns and other content on our website may be posted by people or organizations with a diversity of viewpoints and motivations. We are not responsible for the accuracy of or the intellectual property rights of any such content, nor do we necessarily endorse it.
We are, however, allowed to moderate (edit, remove, etc.) any and all content as we see fit. In practice, this generally involves formatting and fixing typos.
For more information, read up on Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.
You may not use this platform to discriminate or promote discrimination against any individual on the basis of basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, caste, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religious affiliation, age, disability, or serious disease. This includes—but is not limited to—the usage of slurs in a non-consensual manner and dead-naming people.
Conspiracy theory policy
You may not use this platform to spread conspiracy theories, including—but not limited to—Holocaust denial and COVID denial.
Public figures and doxxing policy
You may not publish any individual's identifiable, personal information, with the following exceptions:
- Any information about any individual released with their consent.
- The name, pronouns, position(s), and public contact information of any public figure.
Note: This specific policy is currently under consideration for future modification (naming non-public figures).
You may give us your name, email address(es), and other personal data in a number of ways, which may include (but are not limited to) joining our waitlist, starting or signing a petition, or filling out our contact/support form.
You may not provide an email address that does not belong to you without the prior, express consent of the person to whom that the email belongs.
Once we have your personal data, here is a non-exclusive list of what we may do with it:
- Post your name and related info publicly on our platform (including petition pages) or social media
- Store your data in our database or other data or email management platform necessary to provide and enhance our service
- Store information using Google Analytics (industry standard) and Firebase
- Analyze data using Google Analytics or other methods
- Reach out to you personally to improve our service or to obtain additional information, as necessary
- Send you important account updates and information regarding site changes
- In the future, send you a newsletter (you can unsubscribe from this)
- Share your personal data (including your email address) with the creator of any petition you sign (who may do what they wish with it)
- Inform you of new petitions at your school (you can unsubscribe from this)
- In the future, email you on behalf of sponsors or advertisers (without sharing your exact address) (you can opt out of this)
- Share data where necessary as required by law or court order
- Transfer all of your data, should we be acquired, sold, or merged into another company, organization, or initiative
- Create backups of data locally or on external server (currently a private Github repository), as necessary
- Edit or modify your personal data as per our content policy (see above)
Note: This specific policy is subject to revision.
Acceptable use policy
You may not attempt to hack, reverse engineer, or otherwise disrupt or abuse our platform. An exception may be made for white-hat hacking, with prior consent.
External sites policy
We are not necessarily responsible for, nor do we necessarily control any content not on our website. By navigating away from our website, you agree that you do so at our own risk.
You agree not to sue or hold us legally accountable for any damages which may potentially occur from our site.
This site may utilize cookies, tracking features such as Google Analytics, and targeted advertising, among other technologies.
We may terminate or suspend access to our service immediately, without prior notice or liability, for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation if you breach any of these policies. You may not attempt to access our service or bypass any restrictions on our service in this case.
Our service is not directly associated with any school, college, university, or other institution. Any use of school names is strictly for identification purposes (unless otherwise noted).
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to modify these policies at any time. You are responsible for checking this page for any updates.
Last edit: February 5th, 2021 (edit link title for accessibility purposes, clarify data policy)